Some examples of work conducted in the three service fields I provide:
- Mentorship at Hatfield College at Durham University. I am responsible for 25 students, providing career guidance and development.
- In August 2015 I was invited onto the advisory board of Tunisian NGO Carthagina. I have consulted Carthegina on the content of their staff training programs.
Researching and analysing:
- Worked with a co-author to produce an in-depth report for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Lebanon. The title: Policing the Syrian Refugee Crisis in Lebanon: Policies, Procedures and Prescriptions. This detailed report took the views of 179 respondents from across Lebanon including refugees, security personnel and NGO staff to understand how Syrian refugees are currently policed. The report then provided a number of actionable recommendations and presented to UNHCR in July 2014.
- Wrote a conference report in February 2015 for Lebanese organisation the Samir Kassir Foundation on creating a better relationship between the media and security organisations. The report drew on the lessons and discussions shared between the participants and provided recommendations and learned outcomes. The report was then presented to the donors of the conference in Beirut.
- ‘Myth busting’, a facilitated session in July 2015 delivered to directors of Arab NGOs in Beirut. The goal of the session was to devise methods to challenge negative perceptions of the Arab world and using their organisations, promote a positive view of the region.
- Facilitated session conducted in Belfast with Jordanian police officers in May 2015 on the sensitivities of policing ‘hard to reach communities’. The session drew on the lessons learned from the policing experience of Northern Ireland, specifically how a community based policing approach helps engage fringe communities and ease tension.